Kaitiakitanga

On Friday the 5th of August, we got the opportunity to go and learn about trees and pests, to protect the birds, trees, kiwis and ETC. In the morning we got to meet Chris,  Chris started to explain everything like how the traps work and how to use them.

After Chris explained everything we had a quick morning tea because the bus was waiting outside for us. When we got into the bus we had to wait for 20 min and then we made it to Cornwall park. It was so beautiful, relaxing and very fun to look at.

First we took a quick look at the map then we split up into 2 groups, one group went with Lisa and Charlie and the other group went with Chris. My group went with Charlie and Lisa first and the other group went with Chris/ Lisa and Charlie took my group for a walk and told us some facts about trees.

After we took a little walk we saw a tree with spider-webs and it looked like a Halloween tree instead of a Christmas tree. Later on we had to switch with the other group which meant the other group goes with Lisa and Charlie and my group goes with Chris.

First we had a look at one of the traps and one of the traps had the peanut butter licked off and we saw that the pest spit out some of the peanut butter. We also took a look at some of the other traps but it was all empty. But we found out that the pest that ate the peanut butter was a rat.

After taking a look at all the traps we all got some binoculars and tried to look for some birds. I saw a Fan Tail. It looked so beautiful and relaxed. After that we ate our lunch and played some games afterwards, then the bus arrived to pick us up. After another 20 min we  made it to school. We took a pest test and some of us got mixed up with all of the questions.

Later on we made our own tracking tunnels and some of us like me wanted to set our own outside. After that we went back home to rest. It was a really great experience.