Orangutan 🦧

Zoo, by Anthony Browne is a story we studied for English. What is the role of a zoo and what is the relationship between man and animals? Below is my recreation of an orangutan entering it for the first time.

It is currently 2:30pm. I walk into my enclosure, people murmuring rushes through my ears. Blinded by the reflection of the rustling leaves swaying side to side. A scent of freshly cut grass invades my hairy nostrils. Water dripping from the droplets of the leaky fountain. My amazement makes me overwhelmed as it fills my soul with happiness. The touch of cool breeze catches my attention as I start to think “ Why didn’t they do this before? “ Beautiful patterns of plumage flying across the sky as if it were a rocket ship.

Zoo workers walk out of the enclosure. A moment of silence before the door of the enclosure closes with a long “ beep “ then THUMP. Brown tiny cicadas crawl as it camouflages with the roughly chunky tree trunk. I am at home. It is as if I was born again. Staring into the blue sky. My humongous hairy back rushes through the spiky grass as I lay on top of it. The relief of being free from isolation gives me hope that not all humans are cruel. I stand back up on my big feet, wandering around. I wonder if I can see my family again, so I can share the same happiness with them, feeling safe and sound.